“Intentional Parenting” is a term I began using with friends and family as I discussed my goal of being a good mama. I am sure experts have used it before and I am not the first to write about it. To me it sums up what I want to achieve in my parenting. I don’t want to be a Mom who just makes it or is satisfied with surviving another day. I want to be intentional with my kids in how I love, parent, discipline, instruct, laugh, play and just do life. I want to be intentional in conversation, motive and heart and believe this is the way God designed me to parent. Here are 10 things that I work on to be an “Intentional Parent.” Want to join me in pursuing intentionality in parenting? Come on and let’s journey together.
1. Talk in a soft voice to our kiddos. – I find they listen less when I yell.
2. Stop to tell stories, teach and answer questions in the moment. – Things can wait.
3. Play, laugh and play more. – Things can wait.
4. Pray with your kids. – Not just at bed or meals, as needed.
5. Pray for your kids – No matter how young or old and about the big and little stuff.
6. Teach them about how your family is a Team. – What can they do to help the team daily.
7. Have an amazing marriage. – Love and grow with your spouse constantly, give them an example.
8. Make and allow messes. – Who’s up for making cookies and fingerpainting?
9. Listen more intently. – It might seem trivial to us but to them it’s their world.
10. Have an amazing relationship with God. – Love and grow with your savior constantly, give them an example.
I am just a mom in the midst of it all right along with you striving to do my job as Mom to the fullest to my kiddos ages 8-18. I love sharing an engaging with other women doing the same. This list could have been 100 things but these are some of my current favorites.
Which one do you want to do more of this year? Me, #4. Comment below with yours 🙂